ODAC Director of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (DEDI) Call for Applications
Application Period: April 21st – May 11th
ODAC Dermatology, Aesthetic and Surgical Conference (ODAC) is a distinguished ACCME accredited dermatology conference designed to meet the needs of medical and aesthetic dermatology providers in the 21st century. Founded in 2003 by dermatology pioneer, Dr. Perry Robins, the ODAC Dermatology Conference provides nearly 700 dermatologists, residents, nurse practitioners and physician assistants with important annual updates and fresh practical pearls in the field of medical, cosmetic and surgical dermatology in a highly interactive format.
Together with SanovaWorks, ODAC is renewed in its commitment to create an equitable space for dermatology healthcare providers to pursue education, leadership, and career advancement opportunities, as well as to present inclusive and diverse education on dermatologic diseases in all skin tones.
The ODAC Dermatology, Aesthetic & Surgical Conference is pleased to announce a call for applications, for the role of Director of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (DEDI). This newly defined position will work closely with the ODAC Advisory Board and the SanovaWorks Events Division, to promote the development and implementation of educational offerings aimed at improving cultural competence, diversity, and equity within the field of dermatology. Additionally, this role will assist in creating a conference experience conducive to a collaborative learning environment that enhances professional development and advancement for all. Together with the Director of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, SanovaWorks pledges to:
- Present inclusive and diverse education on dermatologic diseases in all skin tones by having:
- All skin tones represented in presentation content (in cited studies and visually)
- Content and presenters that are culturally competent
- Presentations framed from the standpoint that dermatology includes all skin tones
- Presentations framed from the standpoint that dermatology includes beauty from all backgrounds
- Content that includes and highlights studies that have diverse patient base
- Create an equitable space for dermatology healthcare providers to pursue education, leadership, and career advancement opportunities by ensuring:
- Representation from presenters with diverse backgrounds
- The conference provides a platform to elevate the careers of young and upcoming dermatology leaders
- Research, propose, and develop topics for ODAC workshops and engagement sessions that address disparities in dermatology education and patient access to care
- Develop conference standards that serve as a direct resource for lecture/demo requirements, content selection, and session topics
- Actively participate in the faculty recruitment process to ensure ODAC’s roster of speakers represents diverse backgrounds, experiences, ideas and perspectives
- In consultation with the ODAC Advisory Board, introduce, design, and implement inclusive professional development opportunities for residents and start-up dermatologists (e.g., Young Leader Mentorship Program, ARTE scholarship, etc.)
- Inform and articulate ODAC initiatives utilizing current and future national conversations about equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in the dermatology field that affect both healthcare providers and patients
- Collaborate with SanovaWorks to use its media outlets as platforms for disseminating EDI information to the dermatology community
- Identify and cultivate strategic partnerships with other organizations seeking to improve diversity and inclusion in the practice of dermatology
- Lead recognition and celebration activities aimed at highlighting accomplishments in inclusive patient care and dermatology education
- Participate in monthly and/or quarterly ODAC planning, calls and event operations
- Create opportunities to bridge alliances of ODAC conference attendees that will support growth and alignment for participation in future program/conference offerings
Please note that this is not a full-time role. The anticipated time commitment for this role is approximately 5 hours per month. The Director of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion will receive an annual honorarium for serving on the ODAC Advisory Team. Travel and accommodation expenses for the ODAC annual conference will be fully covered.
To qualify for consideration, applicants should possess the following experience and skills:
- Board-certified dermatologist, 3-5 years out of residency preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of inclusive dermatological education that is representative of diverse patient populations
- Training or teaching facilitation in the field of dermatology
- Demonstrated leadership role experience with the ability to work independently
- Commitment to promoting diversity in dermatology as evidenced by current work in healthcare community engagement
- Strong collaborative skills with the ability to facilitate dialogue and engage in difficult conversations to sustain a culturally responsive environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with knowledge of language sensitive to inclusivity of all backgrounds and communities
- The Director of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion may not concurrently serve in the same role/capacity at other dermatology conferences
Applicants should submit:
- Letter of interest that addresses the selection criteria
- Current CV
Applications will be reviewed by the ODAC Advisory Board and SanovaWorks Events Division. Finalists will meet virtually with the ODAC Advisory Board to discuss their interest and qualifications and to learn more about the appointment. The ODAC Advisory Board, in consultation with the SanovaWorks Events Division, will make the final selection and appointment by June 4th, 2021.
Questions about the role of Director of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion should be directed to Berenice Bonalanza – Director of Content Development at [email protected].
The Sum of Our Differences is Greatness
At SanovaWorks our greatest asset is our team. They are the foundation of what we produce and how. We support our team by embracing diversity, embodying the spirit of inclusion, and championing equity.
We celebrate our lived experiences.
We believe diversity propels innovation.
We are dedicated to growing our diversity.
We pledge to be an inclusive and safe workplace.
We acknowledge inclusion is a shared responsibility.
We hold ourselves accountable with an annual EDI report and plan of action.
We are on a journey to creating an equitable workplace, to build a more equitable world for all.
SanovaWorks Events Division
ODAC Advisory Board Team
Perry Robins, MD – Co-Chair Emeritus
James Spencer, MD – Co-Chair Emeritus
Joel Cohen, MD – Co-Chair – Procedural Dermatology
Susan Weinkle, MD – Co-Chair – Aesthetic Dermatology
Adam Friedman, MD – Co-Chair – Medical Dermatology
To apply, please complete the application below